Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep



I accidentally bought the 3rd book in this series on Christmas Day when I got my kindle from the lovely Santa, not realising it wasn't the first one. I finally got round to buying the first two the other week and am so glad I did - another great series for me to read!

Synopsis from Goodreads.com
My name is Gin, and I kill people.
They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South — when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way — good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.

My review:
This book started off with our main character in a mental asylum. I did think it was rather strange and thought that maybe the whole assissin idea was in her head and was expecting the book to take a downward spiral, but it went way back up in my expectations once I realised she was there to do a job!

On her return Gin takes another job, a quick one with a large payout. Her mentor and contacts manager for a better name is her foster father who took her in as a teenager when she was living on the streets. The job: kill a man in an opera house before the interval. Nothing she hasn't done before and for $5 million, double her normal fee, something she can't turn down!

However, Gin doesn't manage to kill him as another assassin is there to kill her instead. She turns the tables on him, saves the target and jumps into the river. She realises she has been double crossed and is determined to find out by whom, but when she returns to the restaurant Fletcher, her mentor, owns, she realises they have all got themselves into more trouble than they realised. With Fletcher dead, she heads over to his son's apartment and finds him tied up, being beaten by the same group that killed Fletcher. Gin kills them all and they both manage to get away.

Not knowing who else to turn to when Finn's contacts don't find any concrete evidence of who is involved, Gin contacts the police detective who was talking to the original target in the opera house. He decides to work with Gin, even after finding out what she is. He has conflicting feelings - he likes Gin, but hates her at the same time. Will he ever decide what he wants?

The trio, Gin, Finn and Donovan, eventually work out who the air elemental in charge is and plan to bring her down. Gin has to use her stone magic to help her defeat with evil one, something she has never relied on before. Once the air elemental has been defeated, Gin decides to retire from the assassin business - it's too much hard work watching her back all the time, but can she really walk away from the only way of life she has ever really known? I guess I'll find out in book 2!

I loved this book! It was another full-of-action book, with a bit of quick sex thrown in for good measure - not romance though. I loved the idea of the trio having to constantly watch their backs trying to find out who wants them dead. As there are 5 books in the series so far, I presume that Gin doesn't retire - I don't think I would like reading about her running the Pork Pit to be honest - doesn't sound very exciting, but I can't wait to read the next one in this series. Although vampires do make a slight appearance in this book, the main characters use elemental magic, air, fire, water or stone, which is something I haven't read too mcuh about either. Nice to find a different kind of magic user once in a while. A great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment