Monday, September 12, 2011

Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh


Synopsis from Goodreads.com
As an Arrow, an elite soldier in the Psy Council ranks, Judd Lauren was forced to do terrible things in the name of his people. Now he is a defector, and his dark abilities have made him the most deadly of assassins - cold, pitiless, unfeeling. Until he meets Brenna...

Brenna Shane Kincaid was an innocent before she was abducted - and had her mind violated - by a serial killer. Her sense of evil runs so deep, she fears she could become a killer herself. Then the first dead body is found, victim of a familiar madness. Judd is her only hope, yet her sensual changeling side rebels against the inhuman chill of his personality, even as desire explodes between them. Shocking and raw, their passion is a danger that threatens not only their hearts, but their very lives...



My review:
This one was a much better book in this series than the last book. It was still fairly predictable - it's a PNR, it's fairly obvious what's going to happen between the 2 main characters, although why Brenna, the changeling wolf, would ever want to be with someone as cold as Judd is beyond me, but I guess that's the point. He does eventually show emotion and they do find a way to be together, but the path there is not a straight forward as you would expect from the last book.

There is also a bit more of a story to this one. Someone keeps taking pot shots at Brenna and a few other people get hurt in the process. You do eventually find out who he is and why he is trying to kill her, but again Nalini Singh disappointed me with this part of the story. As far as the wolves are concerned it's life for a life and you didn't get to read about the family who took out their revenge or justice as it is seen on the perpetrator. That's why I prefer the blood, guts and gore in a UF book than the soppiness of a PNR. So why am I reading this series, you may ask? Well I had to see what all the fuss was about and now I've spent a fortune on the whole series, I'm going to finish it even if it kills me! :P

I did like the way that Brenna's character developed and the breakdowns she had showed how difficult her torture in the hands of serial killer Enrique was in the first book. I had to admire her strength to fight back, even if the nightmares of it all were draining her of who she used to be. And even though Judd was one of the coldest psys there was, he still had some emotion of sorts before he left the PsyNet - he left for his sister's kids, so he has to have had some feelings.

I liked the idea of the Ghost as well - I want to guess at who it is, but I'm not sure why be I think it's Faith's dad. I could be wrong and there's no clues at all as to who he is, but that's my gut feeling. We do know it's someone who wants to stop Protocol 1, an invention of the Psy to be the general populace under complete control. Will be nice to see how this story pans out in the next book as well.

My only problem so far, other than the predictability of the story, is the fact that all of these changelings and Psys are falling in love with each other. When will the Psy Council do something to stop losing all their Psy (although they had already lost Judd, presumed dead) and what will happen when all the changelings have fallen for the Psy? Who will fall for who then?! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment