Saturday, September 3, 2011

Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh


Synopsis from Goodreads.com
Used to cold silence, Faith NightStar is suddenly being tormented by dark visions of blood and murder. A bad sign for anyone, but worse for Faith, an F-Psy with the highly sought after ability to predict the future. Then the visions show her something even more dangerous-aching need...exquisite pleasure. But so powerful is her sight, so fragile the state of her mind, that the very emotions she yearns to embrace could be the end of her. Changeling Vaughn D'Angelo can take either man or jaguar form, but it is his animal side that is overwhelmingly drawn to Faith. The jaguar's instinct is to claim this woman it finds so utterly fascinating and the man has no argument. But while Vaughn craves sensation and hungers to pleasure Faith in every way, desire is a danger that could snap the last threads of her sanity. And there are Psy who need Faith's sight for their own purposes. They must keep her silenced-and keep her from Vaughn...


My review:
This is the second book in the series and whilst I haven't read any of the others I can kind of predict how I think the rest of this series will pan out. Something happens to a Psy - powers develop, fear of mental illness, finding out the Silence has not silenced all etc etc and somehow they fall in love with a werecat or wolf and break out of the Silence and PsyNet and join the Web of Stars started by Sascha or something similar. Am I correct? If so this series is going to become quite boring quite fast and I have the whole series on my Kindle to read yet!

This story was interesting enough for me to want to finish, but it was kind of predictable as well. It was obvious that the bad boy Vaughn would fall for Faith and emotionless Faith would eventually fall prey to Vaughn's affections. The actual romance side of the story was quite similar in places to that of Sascha and Lucas in the first book in the series. The only real difference was the type of Psy that Faith was and the way her powers were changing/developing.

I really did feel that Nalini Singh could have spent more time on the serial killer and Faith getting revenge for her sister's murder. That was all over in a couple of pages! And I know Faith was worth billions of dollars to her Psyclan, but I do feel they gave up trying to get her back rather quickly too. I know the council stated that they couldn't afford to lose any more men after Vaughn easily killed the 6 despatched to capture Faith, but if you have something worth THAT much to you, surely you would do anything possible to get it back! There seemed to be a real sense of passion missing in this book.

I really hope the next book in the series is better as I'm determined to read the whole series through, and I'm really hoping I don't regret that decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment